Saturday, December 12, 2015

A brief history of the world in Croatian while sitting on the corner in Split

Hey old Croatian man who stopped us by the bus station in Split and started gesturing to your face and hair and speaking to us in Croatian. You seemed to have some questions about me and my hair. Sorry we don't speak Croatian but we think you wanted to know where me and my hair came from. You said something that sounded like Reykjavik, so we guessed that you thought I was from Iceland. Nope. California. (You know old man the wife and I both get this question of where "we are from" a lot. Usually people guess Ireland or Scotland for me and China for her, and when we tell you California or USA you don't take that as a valid answer. "No WHERE are you from" you again ask - until I say England [my grandfather came from England] and/or Janet says Mexico [both parents from Mexico], which are apparently acceptable answers to most people.) But anyways you seemed satisfied when we tell you that my ancestry is from England. We said goodbye and went on our way, but then you saw us again a few minutes later as I was getting sunburned while eating an orange on the corner. This time you wanted to know my profession. Sorry I disappointed you by being an librarian. Electrician seemed to be what you wanted to hear. So you start telling us something that seemed very elaborate about electricity then I guess you realized that I'm a librarian and that you have some books in your satchel that I might be interested in. The books were covered with your beautiful and patient handwriting filling the margins. You also had a magazine you wanted to share. You flipped forward to a bookmarked article about nuclear energy, and then one on Nicholas Tesla. Was the Tesla one because he was born in (what is now) Croatia? I am guessing so since you did seem extra enthused when pointing us through that one. But you weren't done yet! Next out comes a plastic sheet filled with dozens of photocopies from various books and magazines that sketch out the history of the earth and of humankind. You apparently just carry around photocopies of all of human history there in you satchel. You're one amazing dude. I had a feeling that this was going to a memorable conversation but I had no idea we would go this far. We start with the big bang, the earliest organisms, early plant life, early animal life, Homo erectus, Homo sapiens, migration out of African, the Greeks, the Romans, Jesus, Mohammad, the French Revolution, the automobile, the EU, and International Space Station...and finally something that I think (??) that was about future space colonies. We were lucky that there were a lot of pictures that you could point to to help convey the subjects at hand, but when there were no pictures we had a good time trying to figure out what the hell you were talking about. You also wanted to show us you own drawings of idyllic communities, mostly your geodesic domes designs for people (I think) to live in and grow plants. A big Buckminster Fuller fan. You seemed so excited when we told you that we knew who he was. We shake your hand and ask your name. You don't understand or maybe just decide to not answer at first, but then start talking about how Joseph was Jesus' father's. Were you saying that Joseph was your name? Were you getting religious on us? Or was this just another tidbit that you wanted to share? Whatever your name old man: you are great. Thank you for stopping to talk, for sharing your designs, and for giving us a lecture on the history of the world. I just wish I could be as excited and passionate about everything as you are.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seƱor joel webb! It's steph from aau. Yours and Janet's blog is ace, I fully enjoy the observations and travelogues. Especially your ode to this old man and his drawings and philosophy. There definitely should be a reunion of AAU peeps whenever you return.
    Onward with your adventures,
    -SL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STEPH!!!! how is everything? so glad to hear from you. we MUUST do a AAU reunion when I get back...probably be late march or early april. can't wait to catch up! I miss y'all a ton! tell everyone i say heyyy. merry christmas happy new year!

      Delete
  3. JOEEEEEL WEBBB! This library misses you greatly. I will be sure to tell everyone your heyyy.
    Things are good- I'm very ready for winter break! This is the last week. I hope your christmas and new year abroad will be s-p-e-c-t-a-c-u-l-a-r in loud and quiet ways.

    ReplyDelete